Morehouse Parish was officially created in 1844 during Governor Alexandre Mouton’s administration. It was carved from Ouachita Parish and originally included parts of what is now Richland Parish. The parish takes its name from Colonel Abraham Morehouse, a land speculator from New York who purchased a large tract from Baron de Bastrop, a Dutch nobleman granted over a million acres by Spanish authorities in 1796. Bastrop had promised to settle 500 families in the region, but when his efforts faltered, he sold much of the land to Morehouse. Morehouse continued promoting immigration to the Ouachita country, helping lay the foundation for settlement in what would become the parish. This transaction and subsequent land disputes shaped the early identity of the region, influencing its growth and governance.
European settlement began in the late 18th century, long before the parish was officially formed. The first known settler, Francois Bonaventure, established a home near Point Pleasant in 1785, marking the beginning of permanent habitation. By 1805, pioneers like Josiah Davenport and James Barlow arrived, followed by families who settled fertile prairies such as Mer Rouge and Jefferson (Oak Ridge). These prairies were prized because they required minimal clearing for crops, making them ideal for early agriculture. Growth was slow, however, due to lingering disputes over Bastrop’s massive land grant. Once U.S. courts resolved these issues in the mid-19th century, immigration surged. River traffic and later the steamboat era opened new trade routes, fueling population growth and economic development.
Covering about 805 square miles, Morehouse Parish boasts fertile alluvial lands, rolling uplands, and wooded swamps. The Ouachita and Boeuf rivers, along with Bayou Bartholomew—the world’s longest bayou—provided vital transportation and irrigation for early settlers. For decades, cotton dominated the economy, supported by crops like corn, hay, tobacco, and sugarcane. Timber resources—oak, pine, gum, and cypress—later became a major economic driver, with sawmills springing up as railroads expanded. By the late 19th century, agriculture and lumber formed the backbone of the parish’s economy, and Bastrop emerged as the largest town and commercial hub.
Transportation shaped Morehouse Parish’s destiny. In the 1800s, steamboats on the Ouachita River boosted trade and connected farmers to distant markets. The arrival of railroads after 1890 accelerated development, bringing new communities and industries. By 1900, Bastrop had about 800 residents, Mer Rouge 500, and smaller villages like Collinston and Oak Ridge around 300 each. Bastrop, named for Baron de Bastrop, became the center of commerce and governance, hosting the courthouse and serving as the focal point for trade, education, and civic life. These transportation advances transformed Morehouse from a remote frontier into a thriving agricultural and industrial parish.